There is no single answer. Grizzled old union painters as well as younger pros all agree that professional painters in Kansas City wear “painters whites” – but nobody seems to know why.
- Whites distinguish painters from other trades.
- White connotes cleanliness to customers.
- Clean whites connotes skill to other painters.
- White and other light colors are those most commonly chosen for the widest range of applications.
- White is more comfortable in the summer sun.
- Long ago there was whitewash – Tom Sawyer obviously wasn’t a professional as he didn’t dress the part!
- Spackle, plaster, caulk and other common trade materials are all white.
- White clothing is economical – costs less than dyed clothing.
- Easy cleaning – white cloth can be bleached easier than colored clothing.